Old Ted - Stories for Children

Old Ted - Stories for Children
Old Ted - Stories for Children

Friday 4 April 2014

About...


After writing satire for many years I finally decided to have a go at writing stories for children.

I wanted to create very short stories, particularly for parents who are stretched for time, in the hope that even the busiest mum or dad will be able to find two minutes out of their day to read with their children. I also know that little ones have a particularly brief attention-span, which is why I have only created four pages per story.

I’ve taken a very low-tech approach, no fancy graphics or professional photos taken in studios. In fact, all of the pictures were taken with my Nikon Coolpix in my own back garden!

Thinking back to my own childhood in the early 1960s, childrens books were full of bright but basic images. This is what I wanted to re-capture with these photographs.

For future stories I aim to keep to the same format of two lines of text per picture as well as asking the reader one simple question per story. This is to encourage dialogue between the child and the adult, but without over-stimulating children before bed-time!

My Old Ted is not the prettiest or fluffiest teddy bear in the world, he’s old and tatty, but I hope that children will be able to see past that and grow up accepting everyone for who they are and not what they look like.

I welcome constructive feedback. I’m a novice with writing for children and therefore I realise that there may well be things I need to change in order to make the stories better…..



No comments:

Post a Comment